Friday, May 16, 2014

The Digit-al Dozen Does Decades Week: 1990's Grunge


For the final day of The Digit-al Dozen Does Decades Week I bring you the 1990's Grunge movement!
"Grunge became commercially successful in the first half of the 1990s, due mainly to the release of Nirvana's Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Alice in Chains' Dirt, and Stone Temple Pilots' Core. [...] Clothing commonly worn by grunge musicians in Washington consisted of thrift store items and the typical outdoor clothing (most notably flannel shirts) of the region, as well as a generally unkempt appearance." -source

 

So, I had a totally different idea for this in my head but I suddenly had an inspiration and love the way it turned out! I started out with one coat of Essence Romeo. I did only one coat because I wanted it thin and haphazard. While Romeo was still a bit wet I did the Saran Wrap technique using Above the Curve Banana to a Party. Before this dried completely, I gouged out a few holes in the polish and added dents and bare patches to give the grungy look. I used Essence We Will Rock You to create the smokey finish. I stamped using Konad Special Black and Vivid Lacquer VL015. I used my Essence black nail art pen to create the numbers. I topped it off with Essie Matte About You.

I am totally in love with this mani! To me it is the 1990s!

Don't forget to check out the other ladies to see what decade they visited!

12 comments:

  1. I'd totally blocked grunge from my 90s memory. It was probably a good thing. I used to wander round in pairs of flared hipster jeans that were so frayed at the bottom you could practically see the backs of my knees. Not a good look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Oh the jeans that were frayed so badly! I remember those! Hahaha!

      Delete
  2. 90s GRUNGE! I was a bit too young for the grunge era - but I remember it in my older cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little bit of sparkle shining through the grunge theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THESE ARE SO PERFECT AND FANTASTIC!!!! I love all the details. These are my favorite from you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic detailing and all the layers to make it grungy looking...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw man... Kurt Cobain WISHES he could've worn this nail art! :) I think my favorite bit is that you kept the accent nail consistent each day this DD week so it really pulls them all together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I love getting comments! Though I may not be able to respond to each one right away, I do read and appreciate each and every one, they are actually a highlight of my day! If you have any questions, I'll try my best to respond quickly! If you would like for me to check out your blog, email me your link: geekyowl (at) gmail (dot) com.