Friday, August 1, 2014

Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner Review


Ok, so I decided to do a review of Benefit's They're Real Push Up Liner. I've seen many different bloggers post their reviews and I keep seeing a lot of negative things about this amazing product. So I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

This is my first makeup review and my first attempts at photographing my eye. I don't know how you beauty bloggers do it so well! I applaud you! :) 

This review reflects my opinion of this product based on what I have been taught and what I have figured out on my own. I was giving this product at my work. I was not asked to do a review, I just wanted to shine a brighter light on this product! :)

**Picture Heavy**


Alright, so I've had my liner about a few weeks before they officially launched in stores. I work at Ulta and was given it early to play with it and learn to use it. The week of their launch in stores I got to attend a training class on this liner put on by Benefit. (Can I say I love my job!)

So the tip of the liner is rubber (no latex!) and very flexible, able to bend to get in and hug your lashes.


When you first get your liner it has a little orange plug in it. There are many different schools of thought with this little plug. Benefit says toss it. Other bloggers say to keep and put it back on after you are done so it doesn't dry out. At first I would replace it, and it would just be a big mess each time, gel covering the plug and gel all over my hands. After my Benefit class I tossed it, they said it won't dry out. (But you can choose to do whatever you want to do.)


When I go to use the liner I give it a few twists to allow the gel to move up to the opening. You can see the gel coming out in the photo. When you first use the liner it takes quite a few twists to get your liner to start. I thought my was defective at first! Hahahahaha!


Now, this is how I prep my liner for use. After twisting it up in the previous photo I then wipe that excess off on a tissue to spread the gel evenly through the opening of the rubber tip. You don't have to do this, it's just something of a habit that I have picked up. 


I then give it a tiny twist and it's ready to go! With each twist you are bringing up new product each time! This amount that you see can do one full eye if not both. Excuse the little fuzz on the tip; it being rubber, fuzzies are kind of it's best friend. :)


Eeks! My eye! Didn't realize how many wrinkles I have! Hahahaha! The first step that I do on each eye is to "stamp" my wing. I line up the liner from my nostril to the corner of my eye press the tip on my skin and gently pull down. After doing this on one eye I go and repeat this process on the other eye. I've learned that doing it that way makes for a more even wings.

For my shadow I have on Urban Decay Skimp and Too Faced Marzipan from the Chocolate Bar Palette. I've also added a bit of Champagne Truffle in the crease, also from the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette.


Sorry, this is a bit blurry. My next step is to line my lash line. This is a "rough draft" line. It isn't straight and perfect but it is the base on which I create my eye. Ok, now this is where I would have issues. My liner use to keep skipping, leaving huge blanks spots, or it would look like the liner tip would be picking up the liner like a spatula and cake batter. I asked this at my Benefit class. I was told, I needed to use more product. Since receiving that info, no more skips! Yay!


This is how it looks with my eye open, a simple black line. I could keep it like this but I never do! Hahaha! Seriously? I don't think I've ever really realized the hood or wrinkle in my crease. Or maybe it's denial? Hahahaha!


The next step that I do is to take the tip of the liner and go to the edge of the wing and draw a line to the middle of inner corner of my depending on the look I am going for. This is where you may need to twist up more product so that you don't have skips or bald spots. Sometimes you will get clumps of gel on you lids, and this is the cause of many complaints wit this products because it causes the fall out. You can do two things with these clumps. You can either push those clumps into your lashes (these clumps are still useable, they are not dried yet!) or you can pick them up and off you lid using the tip of the liner. If you leave the clumps, then you will have fall out.


Here's how it looks with my eye open. Not too bad huh! I love it! I have never been able to do this type of look with liquid or felt or pencils. I love this liner! It is rare that I am not wearing it now!


When I am finished with the liner I bend and wipe the liner on the tissues to remove and excess of the gel in the tip. 


This is my favorite thing to do with this liner......add glitter! Sparkly! This is Urban Decay's Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Spandex with It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Mascara.


Still with Urban Decay Spandex. I love this look! Let's check out some more versions! :)


Here it is using Urban Decay's Glitter Eyeliner in Stagedive. I call this my mermaid color. :) On my lids I have Urban Decay Skimp and Snatch with Urban Decay's Moondust eyeshadow in Space Cowboy for added shimmer! Used It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Mascara.


And open!


Using Urban Decay's Heavy Metal Eyeliner in Catfight. Again I used: Urban Decay Skimp and Snatch with Urban Decay's Moondust eyeshadow in Space Cowboy for added shimmer! With It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Mascara.


Sorry about the lighting change. :) But here it is with my eyes open.

So what do you think? Have you tried this liner? Do you love or hate it? I love this liner and have had no issues. I know that it takes a bit of practising if you are use to liquid liners. And if you have ever done calligraphy, think of holding the liner like that. Try practising drawing lines on the back of your hand so that you can get a feel for how it works!

Let me know what you thought about this type of post, if you'd like to see more like this or not. :)