Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Digit-al Dozen Does Countries and Cultures Week - Italian Renaissance


Day two of The Digit-al Dozen Does Countries and Cultures Week! And today I have for you one of my favorite periods in art history, the Italian Renaissance. This was the period of time in from the 14th century to the 16th century when there was a rebirth of the arts and cultures of classical antiquity. The art during this time grew by leaps and bounds beginning with Gothic flat figures to full on linear perspective and figures that were real, that were made of substance.


I began my Renaissance mani using Barry M Lychee. I then did the saran wrap method using Barielle A Little Exotic and Barielle My Tan Blazer. I stamped using Konad Black and MoYou Tourist 04. My first two fingers represent Michelangelo's Creation of Adam found in the Sistine Chapel and painted in 1511-1512. On my ring finger you have Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man drawn around 1490. The Vitruvian Man is based on the ideal human proportions proposed by the Roman architect Vitruvius. And finally on my pinkie we a sad attempt of a shield, this is the Medici Coat of Arms (or was suppose to be!). I stamped using Sally Hansen Gone Grey and Vivid Lacquer VL 020, then I realized the shield is suppose to be gold! I colored it in using Barry M Foil Effects Gold. I added the red dots using Barielle A Little Exotic. The Medici family were the family during the Italian Renaissance; bankers and patrons of the arts, commissioning many great and wonderful paintings!


I used Essie Matte About because I think it looks more worn and aged that way. Sorry for the bit of an art history lesson. You ever want me to not shut up, let's talk about the Italian Renaissance. My dream job would be a museum curator specializing in the Italian Renaissance. :)

Don't forget to check out where the other ladies are taking you today!